Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Staycation

I wasn't supposed to take a staycation but I'm going to now. The plan was to get back from visiting the family...YESTERDAY...and THEN head up to the Palm Springs area for a few days of fun. BUT...well...of ALL places...yes ALL places what city had a weather advisory yesterday when I was traveling??? Yep...San Diego. So when I hopped on an earlier flight in Reno and they were actually taking off...i thought "YES...i'm going to get to go home tonight". Unfortunately the fog never lifted last night and my plane got diverted to Vegas en route. Nice. I did manage to get the first flight in and who knows how...i actually managed to get my luggage too. There were 10+ flights that were cancelled into San Diego last night and the baggage area had hundreds of bags.

Sure I could leave town and all that good fun, but I've decided to take a step back...relax for a few days, enjoy some stuff in San Diego...I mean...it is San Diego and just enter 2009 in an organized and focused manner. I'm pretty tired at the moment and I think a few days of calmness around here will be great. The weather looks pretty good...60s for the next few days...so i'm pretty excited to be out of the snow.

Here are a few tips from my fiasco that I amazingly didn't have to learn on this trip:
  • Always carry on necessary toiltries for an overnight stay.
  • Have something you don't mind sleeping in your carry on.
  • Don't forget any medication that is necessary in a 24+ hour period.
  • Have your cell phone charger in your carry on. I can't tell you the number of people who's batteries were running low.
  • Be flexible.
  • Be nice to those that are changing your flight. It's not their fault and they are completely stressed out too.
  • Be creative.
  • Laugh...you can't do much more and complaining will just make it worse.
I'm glad to be home. I'm starting to think and plan for this next year and getting pretty excited. It's going to be good.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So glad you made it home! Getting stranded is such a drag. Here's to a wonderful 2009!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Bob Almighty said...

Happy New Year!

Thank you for the travel tips with NZ last year!

Charisa said...

Such a great attitude - love it! Happy new year, and yes, 2009 is going to be a great year!