Thursday, May 15, 2008

Please make it stop!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments about my silly crossfit workouts...I have to laugh when I hear "that's bad ass or hard core" because I surely do NOT feel that way the next day when I am almost sliding down the banister because I can barely walk down the stairs. I felt a bit like E.T. the past couple of days as I've just constantly been saying:

oooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwch!

Walking hurts, sitting down hurts, walking down the stairs hurts....a.LOT. Stupid wall ball squats. I think the mental game that I have with crossfit is that I keep thinking that one day I will be strong enough not to be so immobilized by a workout, but I'm not sure if that ever will actually happen as I hear seasoned crossfitters describing days they have difficulty walking down stairs. This time there was no Delay Onset Muscle Soreness...it was more like...immediate soreness that night and it never stopped. I went for a run on monday evening and started to feel the soreness creeping in from the AM crossfit workout...and the rest of the week has been me hobbling around. One person at work asked me if I was trying out a new 'walk'...hahaha. Not.so.funny.

But yes, this is the big downside to crossfit. It can really mess up your other training.I did get a 4 mile (painful) run in today...but it was pretty ugly and pretty slow. I am listening to my body when it complains...and basically will give it way if I am having trouble with normal things like, say walking.

In other funny news, I suddenly found myself as the captain of my 10K MudRun team that is in a month...how that happened I have no idea. I am the newest employee on the team (as it is one of my corporation's team) and somehow when the captain dropped out, it was all me. That is in just over a month! Very exciting.

6 comments:

Angry Runner said...

Make those mofos do CF with you. Call them names if they don't.

Check out www.crossfitendurance.com and see if anything there plays to what you wanna do. I've yet to try a workout, but i have a good idea that it would probably hurt. A lot.

Bob Almighty said...

Pain is weakness leaving the body....

Sarah said...

What bob said. Seriously - my old swim coach used to yell that to me!!! "SARAH! PAIN IS THE WEAKNESS LEAVING YOUR BODY!"

anyway, I checked out more Crossfit. It scares the living daylights out of me. I'm so weak it's not even funny. Yet, I love to be humbled. I love to be made to feel weak when I previously felt strong.

There's one in Petaluma, which is about 15 miles south of me, so not too far.

However, all your stories of being so effing sore and walking funny have me very, very afraid.

Like I said...once tri season is over, I'm all over it. ;)

Nice job on the mud run!! Now you just have to get more people to do it!

Formulaic said...

I feel your pain. My gym glass was non stop lunges and squats. Now I'm so sore that i can't sit down!

But I think it pales in comparision to your crossfit class and soreness.

OUCH!

Keep at it. You'll find a way to make it fit with your tri training too. You'll find the balance.

Actually, I am really interested to see how this strength training will impact your races. How much fast and better will you be?

You may have found the new 'it'. Crossfit make you tri-fit!

Speed Racer said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I kind of hope you NEVER get over the DOMS thing, because I LOVE reading about it! And if I'm ever trapped under a giant log or something, I hope I have YOU around to Nip Tuck it off of me (or whatever you call picking up something heavy in your Crossfit language). You ARE hard core and bad ass... ...And, of course, nuts.

Sunshine said...

Thanks for keeping us posted.