Thursday, May 08, 2008

Back in the swing of it

I had planned on a lot of things this week. Some yoga, nice swimming but life has really gotten in the way of all of that and I have also just been tired from the weekend, so I took it easy (read: I did nothing until today). But I managed to find my way back to crossfit today.

We did Overhead Squats 5-5-5. THESE.ARE.HARD. I felt so unbalanced most of the time and a wimp the rest of the time. Because getting the balance right is slightly difficult in the early stages of learning them, so you don't load up the squats much until you have the form right. My max back squat weight is 135 or so...And when we are doing 5-5-5 reps I'm doing around 115-120lbs. Today with the overhead squat...33lbs. And I felt like I *might* be able to put maybe 5 or 10 lbs on and...well...not much more. They are more awkward than anything else and I didn't feel like it was all that heavy, but the whole action of the squatting down makes them REALLY hard.

Then our WOD was 5 rounds for time:
15 Hang Power Snatches (video of demo)
Run 400m
Time: 17:04

Again...totally wimpy weight of 33lbs for the hang power snatch (women were supposed to do 65lbs), but form is more important and now I have that pretty well squared away actually. What was giving out on the hang power snatch was my forearms, none of my other muscles actually were complaining. Odd. I probably could have done a heavier weight and taken a longer time. Next time.

One of the other woman mentioned that she's noticed that typically once I get my form squared away after the first few pulls of any lift, that I gain a lot more of my strength and can probably lift more than I am doing in general. Things to think about.

Ahhh and I get to go on vacation here in a mere two weeks. Pretty excited.

7 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Hoooooly crap! Those hang power snatches are GNARLEY! I may think you're nuts, but that doesn't mean I don't think you're badass. Aren't you afraid it's going to fall on your head?

Where are you going on vacation?

Paul said...

That's some serious weight work! Vacation should be good!!!

Benson said...

Dang, you are really earning that vacation. Good job with all that hard training. You're solid.

Sunshine said...

What a tiger!!
I am awed and inspired by you .. even though I could not match what you do.

Sweet Pea and I just took some short camera videos of each other running.. discovered some pointers ..
Like the comment from another woman that was helpful to you.

Angry Runner said...

Hang Power Snatch...music to my ears.

triguyjt said...

the overhead squats??? did you have alot of unstability when you first started doing those??and if you have any knee issues do you scale back on the weight or bypass them...??

nice post pants..thanks

Sarah said...

Dang. You really are a badass.