Monday, July 13, 2009

I will...

Tapering for vineman has made me ansty, but life does not stop for us as we move towards goals either. I'm in the middle of condo buying, big equipment buying at work, big project at work, team chaos with crazy people, some other odds and ends yet the real one that most likely has me the most ansty is the reality that my sister went into the hospital this weekend, had surgery yesterday and now...they still don't know what's wrong. Life does not stop.

She made me laugh today when I was on the phone with her because she was so bummed that she had to miss her first 5K because of needing to...you know...go to the hospital and all that. She joked: I sure have bad excuses for missing my first race. All I really wanted was the t-shirt.

The thing is, i'm bummed for her too. I've been helping her all spring...psudo coaching her by giving her more interesting workouts at the gym so she doesn't go completely crazy and she's gotten so much stronger, fitter and leaner. I'm so proud of her. Especially when she got all excited about signing up for this 5K that she wanted to run/walk. She even thought about doing a super sprint this summer. But many times our plans are really just that...ours. They aren't the plans that life has laid out. Too often I think I actually have a 'say' in what those plans are...but many times I do not. And...life does not stop.

But...life... sometimes in weird ways does put things into perspective. While some of this endurance stuff really is crazy I think I find some beauty in that. When it hurts it's because I can push my limits because my body is healthy enough to let me. That is something that the past year I have come to truly recognize is a privilege not a right. So in light of many learnings from this year and people I have bumped into I have come up with various goals for my race.

I will...
  • have fun...i don't get paid to do this, it better be fun
  • thank the volunteers
  • smile on occasion (even if it hurts)
  • encourage someone else
  • leave it all on the course
  • be smart about my pacing and try to keep my ego in check on the bike
  • drink, eat, drink, eat, throw water on me, use ice to cool me during and after the race
  • Finish
  • make some time goals, but not let them dictate whether or not I had a 'good' day
  • remember that I GET to do this
I am really excited, but i'm also really wound up right now due to much of the aforementioned chaos so i'm glad I'm leaving a few days early to unwind before the race.

6 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Thinking speedy healing thoughts for your sister.

Best of luck at Vineman! My coach is a huge fan of process goals. With time goals it is easy to get caught up in it and lose the positives of race day. Sounds like you have set some great goals!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Super sorry to hear about your sister...wow, surgery and they still don't know what's up. That's some scary stuff. I'll send many good thoughts her way.

Love your mindset...having just gone through some wacky taper feelings myself I think it's brilliant that you're taking the time to list out these goals. You're an inspiration!

Good luck this weekend!!!

Joe B said...

You will be awesome.

Speed Racer said...

Oh no! I hope they figure out what's wrong with your sister and whatever it is, she recovers from it quickly!!!

Your race is tomorrow, so I don't know if you'll get this in time for my wishing you luck to make any difference. If the course is the same as the full distance course look out for:
The first hard right turn on the bike (don't take it too wide, you'll wind up in the pricker bushes!)
All the hills on the run
Asshole drivers on the bike course
Crappy pavement

And most of all, enjoy it and have a great day!

PS My word verification word is "wingsz". Sending you wingsz for tomorrow so that it feels effortless.

Charisa said...

I hope your sister is ok!!

Sunshine said...

So sorry about your sister. Hope the next few days see a turn around for her. Prayers.
And best wishes to you.