Monday, August 02, 2010

One week down

Week one of kettlebells/powerlifting has gone really well. I'm sore. I knew I would be. But not too sore and the type of soreness is not related to how I used to get sore when all the overtraining syndrome started...so maybe I'm heading out of the woods. I still need naps it seems on the weekends and I will be honest...if I could nap around 3pm in the afternoon I would do it. That would have been good today, but I will make this short and head to bed early.

But the best thing is that it just feeeeeels good. So many months of barely getting my HR up and finally being able to be out of breath during a workout just gives that great rush of endorphin high that is so wonderful. I heart endorphins. In all honesty I'm more surprised that I'm not MORE sore. I mean, don't get me wrong...friday's squat fest (a zillion and two lateral squats combined with a bunch of back squats made me barely able to move around this weekend) put me in a sorry state, but really not a severe degree. Soon enough I will be moving beyond that initial 'owchie i haven't lifted in a while soreness' to the different type of soreness that comes with just moving new heavier weights. The later hurts a little less.

But most of all...i'm enjoying it and having fun. And really that is the most important.

But again it has me thinking...will I *ever* come back to triathlon? I know I don't have to. And I won't until I think i will love the multisport schedule, but it is just so weird to think that I may not come back. I am having a day where I'm really not sure if I ever will return. But then again...tomorrow I might think differently. I would say I'm about 50:50 split at the moment...so it depends on when you catch me.

In the meantime...I'm learning to master that kettlebell swing.

2 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That's the beauty of our lives, isn't it. So much choice. I'm so happy to hear that your body is embracing the change - naps are good. Sleep is the ultimate healer. Be well!

Brian Gunn said...

Whether or not you do another tri, I'm glad you're feeling better and able to do some workouts again!

And if you DO come back to tri, just remember to take it slowly and don't let ANYONE, including your coaches and yourself, talk you into doing more workouts than you can handle.

If you can only do one ride, one run, and one swim per week, so be it! If you can only ride once per month, that's okay! This is supposed to be fun, after all, and pushing yourself past the point where your body gives up isn't fun.