Monday, August 30, 2010

5 weeks down

Ok...at some point I will stop counting, but maybe after the 3 month mark. So 5 weeks of kettlebells and powerlifting/strength and I feel...well pretty darn strong. I actually made it through my 3x10 sets of burpees this morning and didn't have to stop to rest quite so much. Oye the first week I had to do those it was like do 3 burpees, stop, do 3 more...stop...finish the final four and want to lie on the floor. Now I can get through the full set of 10...even if I start to falter a little at the end I'm still able to do all 10. So yes, i'm getting my fitness back which is soooooo nice. Interesting observation was with hanging leg raises today...where I hang on some rings and lift my legs up...4 weeks ago...could barely do 5. Today..12 wasn't so hard (ok a little at the end...but these are not sissy exercises).

And good new...Fatigue is still at bay...so I really do think I"m on the mend. And I'm more and more thinking Magnesium did have something to do with it. Been running a bit...still pretty laborious...how did we ever get into running? Those first few weeks of running...SUCK. But I did have a fun end of a run the other day where my friend and i pushed it at the end of the run and it felt good. I'm almost to venturing past the 40 minute mark. I know...sounds so short.

And I wont' be doing the half mary i was contemplating in November. Too much chaos in Oct to deal with. One insanity at a time please. Maybe carlsbad half in January? Donno.

But all in all its good. Checked my body comp this weekend, body fat is down, % bf is down and I have regained the lean body mass I lost this spring which is also a good thing. Side comment on body composition though...who says you can't spot reduce? Seriously...I wouldn't believe it except if you have the YEARS of trends with how your body loses weight...what you are doing *does* influence where you lose more fat. I'm so not kidding. The first time I went in to see my nutritionist over 2 years ago we would notice I would lose weight from some parts faster than others and she would comment: are you doing more XYZ? And I would blow off the comment as I didn't believe in the idea that doing something that used a section of your body would cause more fat to disproportionately leave that area. I just figured 'that's my genetics'.

Ok...i'm now super suspicious. Last time I was working with her back from 2007-spring 2009...i tended to equally (and these two spots I would lose the most body fat from)...lose from my quads and my waist. This time? My quads alone DROPPED a disproportionally greater amount than ANYWHERE else. She asked: are you doing lots of squats?

Well...yes I am...but why would that cause me to drop MORE fat from my quads?

Last time I was working with her I was doing swim-bike-run plus some crossfit. This time i'm doing kettlbells/powerlifting, running and vinyasa yoga. It's kind of bizarre. So maybe you *can* do some spot reduction. But I think if you that is all you do you won't lose anything...you do lose fat all over the body, but it does come off not at the same rate from the same places. That's kinda weird too.

3 comments:

Nitsirk said...

Sounds like you are making some progress. How often do you see the nutritionist? Is this covered by insurance or out of pocket? I'm just curious because it sounds like it is helping a lot.

rocketpants said...

When I am trying to lose weight I see my sports nutritionist every 5-8 weeks. It's 20 dollars for a 7 point %bf test which I think is reasonable. Keeps me honest and accountable. I think body composition is more important than what the scale says and this last time I pretty much lost as much body fat as I gained lean body mass so the scale demoralized me. I have a theory that if your body is trying to put lean body mass on...then it has trouble letting go of body fat...but I have found that times when I lose the most body fat...my body doesn't gain as much lean body mass. Following body comp is actually pretty interesting.

My other nutritionist I pay out of pocket, but only have had to see her a few times. She is the one who has dealt more with my nutritional deficiencies. She's pretty reasonable...although I wonder if my insurance would cover these things. You got me thinking.

Overall neither one has actually been too expensive and have been super helpful. So totally worth it.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I'm always so relieved to see your updates these days! Progress! I've been thinking I should try kettlebells. You like, and the idea of building strength appeals to me.