Wednesday, December 09, 2009

There's a catch to it

Technique is currently being HAMMERED into my head. Swim technique is a major focus...and then there is some run technique too. But swim technique has been hammered with endless 25y's. The focus of 25ys...perfect technique and repeat. I mentioned this awhile back and i have been swimming not huge volume but frequently...4 days a week...my hair and skin are starting to protest a little even with anti-chlorine shampoo and lotion. But I am seeing some dumbfounding improvements where I shake myself and say: but isn't that supposed to be my ALL OUT time? And really these improvements were just from one swim clinic about six weeks ago where my take home message was: hug a bear. Sure that was a motto i came up with, but after this last weekend's clinic...my six weeks of bear hugging has paid off. My coach gave me the thumbs up to move on to focusing on my stroke. One thing I like is my 'homework' usually is only 2 or 3 things to think about and focus on.

Ah yes...the catch of the stroke. I have discovered that if upon entering the water I subtly drop my wrist which causes the catch of the stroke to start later...and hence I am not pulling as much water through the stroke. But I have also discovered that i think i am destined to have massive deltoids because just when I thought i finally had some strength to them...this catch/pulling focus now tires the delts pretty quickly. But it is coming...and for whatever reason I really am digging the ability to focus on technique and it is paying off! That probably helps the motivation when I'm in the middle of a set of 72x25y and want to poke my eyes out from the repetition. But somehow I come back to center in the middle of it and embrace it again. It somehow works for me.

So in the meantime i will be working on my catch...and maybe I will start growing some fins and gills too.

4 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

This is so cool!! I love that you're tweaking one thing at a time and seeing such improvement. That rocks.

Pton98 said...

72x25? Wow. You can't do them I.M., kick, pull, fins, paddles, descend or build? Do you get to mix up the intervals at least? I couldn't handle that.
It just sounds like chinese water torture. You must be very discplined and focused.

Mark Allen posted a pretty good list of weight training exercises for triathletes on active.com that includes some swim-specific exercises.

BTW, high elbows, both on the catch and the recovery.

Charisa said...

I'm right there with you on the swimming :)

Sunshine said...

Good luck
You go Girl!!