Saturday, May 23, 2009

I think I need my head checked

Today my training was: 'ride 50 miles hard' ...zone 3/4 hard. I'm not so good at pushing myself by myself at times...i definitely lolligag way too much on my own...so I recruited (or suckered) my two fast rodie friends Elaine and Mark into being my rabbits. They are faster than me...so it was good to just try to keep up as best as I could...but I also realized at mile 10 when I saw my HR reading 171...i might need to chill it out a little bit. So I dropped back a bit but tried to keep them in my sights as much as possible.

The other part of this was: do a big hill at mile 40...considering the route we decided on,mile 40 turned into: Torrey Pines. Torrey Pines is what people like to do hill repeats around here because well its a steep and reasonably long hill. Since it was a little steeper than necessary we decided on the outside of Torrey and not the gnarly inside of Torrey that I RAN up during La Jolla half...but it still is a big grade for 1+ miles. In truth, I've never done hill repeats on Torrey...i've only heard fabled tales of them. But as far as the outside hill is concerned, I realized today I really need my head checked. My little secret...I fell in love with that hill...i did. In fact I am now wondering when I can next do some actual hill repeats on that hill. Who likes doing hill repeats??!

Something is seriously wrong with my head.

5 comments:

Joe B said...

Me me me.....

I like hill repeats.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Well, there is something to be said for enjoying a challenge.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Did you row crew in college? Seem us crew folk are strangely drawn to hills! Sound like a great ride! Congrats!

Charisa said...

Oh your ride sounds like it was great if you were Loving TP hill at mile 40! :)

Sunshine said...

So it goes when you ride with rabbits?
Good job.